Texas Country Oaks Dance Hall, Edna, TX, New Years 2012

Friday, February 26, 2016

February 26, 2016

February 12, 2016

In my last post I said we would give you some hints about riding Amtrak.  Although we only rode the train from Manassas, VA to New Haven, CT and I am writing about just that experience, we are sure that these apply to any route you may take.

1.  Be flexible.  Delays occur just like on airplanes so be prepared for something to go wrong.
2.  The seats are much wider and a lot more comfortable that on airplanes.  Also, there is more space between rows.  That said, you still need to be respectful of the person sitting behind you.
3.  Take something to eat and drink.  The food on Amtrak is very expensive.
4.  Pack as light as you can.  You will probably be carrying your bags on-board the train and in all likelihood placing them in the overhead rack.
5.  Take you computer, iPad, etc.  There is free WiFi on-board however, it can get slow as more people board the train.

February 20, 2016

Last Thursday we drove about 70 miles south of here to Tavares, FL. for a visit with Dale and Linda Richardson.  Dale and I flew together back in the late 70’s when we were both assigned to the 7th Military Airlift Squadron at Travis AFB, CA.  Dale went on to an assignment in the initial cadre for the KC-10 tanker after leaving the 7th.

After catching up on our lives, telling a few war stories and solving some of the world’s problems, Dale took up for a ride in his bass boat.  After launching on Lake Eustes, we made our way through a cut over to Lake Dora where we docked and had lunch O'Keefe's Irish Pub and Restaurant.





It was great to see Dale and Linda again and we hope to see them at the squadron reunion next year.

For the last couple of days we have been dealing with my doctor’s office, Medicare and taxes.  I’m not going to go into the details about the problems we are having with Bend Memorial Clinic and Medicare however, suffice it to say that if your doctor bills something wrong you will have a mess trying to get it straightened out.  Also, if you call Medicare and one of the folks you talk with gives you information that doesn’t seem quite right, call back and talk to another person.  Oh, and you know that big thick book that Medicare sent you?  Read it!

Our tax issue isn’t really a big problem, We changed to a new preparer this year and for her the learning curve is pretty steep.  Genny lives in Idaho and we have to file our state taxes in Oregon. To make it even more confusing, the state changed their forms dramatically to 2015.  Also, since we had income in Arizona last year we have to file as nonresident there.  Genny is getting them done but it is taking some additional time but we think the task will be a tad easier next year.

February 23, 2016

I my a followup with my vascular doctor to discuss the results of my final leg test yesterday and the news was good.  He told me that the circulation has improved dramatically and that I am good to go.
I can’t believe that it’s almost time to start our travels back to Oregon for the summer.  Here is our travel itinerary:

Quincy, FL, 16-17 Mar.
Maxwell AFB, AL, 17-19 Mar.
Tupelo, MS., 19-20 Mar.
Cherokee Village, AR., 20-21 Mar.
Springfield, MO, 21-23 Mar. (Visiting family)
Joplin, MO, 23-24 Mar. (Visit friends).
Edmond, OK, 24-25 Mar.
Amarillo, TX, 25-27 Mar (Visit friends).
Tucumcari, NM, 27-28 Mar.as
Kirtland AFB, NM, 28-1 Apr
Winslow, AZ, 1-2 Apr.
Goodyear, AZ, 2-5 Apr (Visit family).
Indio, CA, 5-7 Apr.
Bakersfield, CA, 7-8 Apr.
Fresno, CA, 8-13 Apr. (Visit family).
Travis AFB, CA, 13-17 Apr.
Calistoga, CA, 17-21 Apr. (Visit family).
Corning, CA, 21-23 Apr
Chiloquin, OR, 23-24 Apr
Oakridge, OR, 26-30 Apr (Visit Glaspey’s)
Bend, OR, 30 Apr-1 Jun (Host at Pilot Butte State Park).

Yeah, I am kinda anal about planning our trips.  I hate to pull into a place just before my cocktail hour and find out there is no room at the inn.  Also, when we are going to stop to visit family and friends I want to give them a heads up for our visit.

February 25, 2016

So, the next day after Dr. C. cut me loose I had another episode that caused me to take a ride in an ambulance and a two day stay in the hospital.

Some of y’all probably know that I have a problem with looking up above my head or laying down and looking up for any length of time.  On Tuesday I was adjusting the temperature on our thermostat and got a little dizzy.  After having something to eat I laid down on the couch and instead of getting better, I actually was getting worse.  After about fifteen minutes I then started having trouble catching my breath.  That was when Joyce called 911.

I’m not going to go into too much detail here but after several tests including two CAT scans, a heart angiogram and about a gallon of blood letting, the doctors cut me loose today.  They feel that since I have some narrowing of my arteries, when I raise my head to look up I cut off blood to my brain.

Also, when I got to the emergency room my blood pressure was all over the place and my heart rate was real low.  The doctors changed one of my medications and took me off of a low-pressor medication that I have been taking for a couple of years.  I have a followup with them next week.

Abby ran a 5K race last week.
Travis is 6 months old now.

More later.

Barry & Joyce

No comments:

Post a Comment